Monday, June 16, 2008

NO POWER

On Sunday, we had a very lazy day. I got up late and then had breakfast. Nora's friends were leaving before noon, so there was a lot going on in the house. And then just like that they were all packed up in the boat on their way out from the island.

Summer and I stayed back behind, I watched 'Walk the Line' and she hung out down stairs, and then all of a sudden there was a storm and the power went out. We were without power until late last night.

Nothing really happened, it was just a nice relaxing day.

But Monday, whew, it was a busy day! I got up around 9am and packed all my suitcases. Then we had breakfast and Summer and i got right to work. We worked a little had some lunch and then worked some more.
Next came packing up the house and loading the boat. We loaded all that we wanted into the boat and headed for shore. Today will be the 1st day that I get to step onto new land since I arrived in Norway.
So we got to the dock after a short boat ride and then unloaded all 900 lbs luggage. It is an up hill walk from the dock. So oh, boy was that a work out. Then what should have been a short ride to town, was rather long. They have rode construction and they are blasting and you have to hold until the blast is over and then they let 10 cars or so through and then it goes again. An hour or so later, we arrived at Ostra Strand Octa. Number 8. It is a beautiful house.
I have the 4th floor flat. There are 3 flights of stairs. Ugh, more dragging the luggage. I dragged it all up and then set out to see a little around town.
Nora and I went up past McDonald's ( will have to take a pic, it is a fabulous building) to a small grocer. We bought a couple of things. Most important was caffeine. You have to pay to get a shopping cart. But Nora has a wooden nickel that will hold the place so you can get a cart out and then when you hook them back up then the plug comes out.
When we got home we had a snack and then I unpacked for the very first time. It is nice to see what all I had packed. I forgot about a lot of it. But it is really cold and I did not bring enough cold weather clothing. My parents are bringing some more over.
At 6:30 we walked to the fish market, just down the street to have dinner, but on a Monday, they were all booked up. They do not have a waiting list, just 1st come or reservations. So we walked back near town and stopped at a little cafe. I had a very fresh Halibut and the best desert. It was a passion fruit mousse. It was lick the plate good. mmmm....I should have taken a picture. Well we are back and I just got to talk to my roommate and friend. So today was a great day!
Tomorrow, Summer's friend Shana comes in, she is 18yrs old. I am not sure I am adult enough to be in charge in a foreign country, but we will see the adventures to come. Tomorrow I will take the fly bus to pick her up. And then later in the evening we are going to go see Dolly Parton in concert. Talk to ya'll later!
Miss you all!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so lying about Dolly Parton! OMG- i assume this will be the highlight of your trip???!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Mondy Megan: I went out to your house and picked up you vest, jeans and pillow so MOM can cover it with the butterfly material for your classroom. I left my car in the garage and will drive your Jetta for the week to keep the battery up. I will return it just before we come over to Kristiansand. I had some work out in West Ft Worth so going out to Bonds Ranch Road wasn't that far out of the way today.
Glad you got moved into the Town House and hope you are all settled by now. It's after midnight your time so your probably in bed asleep.
I well go fix our diner before Mom comes home. Talk to you soon.
Love DAD

sarahjox said...

Megan,
Thanks for reminding me about your blog! I just bookmarked it and caught up. I AM SO JEALOUS! It sounds so gorgeous and the food!!! WOW! Sounds like you're having a blast and I can't wait to read more. Thanks for including me!

Sarah :)

Anonymous said...

Megan:
It was fun talking with all of you today. Enjoyed meeting everyone.
I just wanted to let you know the UPS guy delivered the rem of paper you ordered.
DAD