Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday Began at 4pm

Today was the day that Nora's friend were coming. Summer and I got started late today because she had to take a bath. As Nora was looking her over, she found 3 ticks on her. I promptly went upstairs, striped down and began searching for ticks. NO TICKS, but then tonight I did the same thing, and i found one on my belly. UGH, the is so gross. They are really tiny.
Ok, anyway, moving on. Summer and I had a nice day and we ended it with a trip on the Ranger picking flowers for the table and then baking cookies. Now, if you know me, I don't cook. So getting around the kitchen is tough enough, but when all the packages are in Norwegian, it is hard. I also learned how to cook on a cast iron stove. But that is that, I baked and Summer ate.
The real fun was when the guests showed up. There are 4 ladies. Hilda, Nora's best Friend, Lisa and Lillian, long time friends, and Marie Christine, a broker friend from France. Ok, they are all over 50 if not older.
At last count we had 7 bottles of wine from 4pm to midnight. Wow! They are all very nice and easy to talk to. For the night they would speak English for Marie and I. But I was told that after the 2nd glass of wine, normally politeness goes out the window and they always speak Norwegian. They go in and out of English, but when they laugh I usually know why, catching on to the jokes is easy. It is understanding everything else that is hard. I was the resident English speaker and was asked several times, "How do you say in English?" Sometimes I did not know.
So you know how you pick up an accent of the people you are around. I have a really bad accent when I get around Texans. Well I don't have a Texan accent here, it is the craziest thing ever.
I took Lisa out on the ranger to get some fire wood, and then let her drive. She was a speed demon and we drove all around the island. And to think I was only taught how to drive it a couple of days ago. And then I am the expert to teach someone else, ha!
So are you ready to hear about what we had to dinner tonight. Oh my gosh, it was so, so, so good! I don't know what the Norwegian term is, but in English it is "the Ugly Fish" It is a white fish that is very much like lobster. It was pan seared and then cooked in a vegetable glaze and a curry cream sauce. It has mushrooms, asparagus and mussels. And YES I tried mussels. I had 6 of them. That is a good taste, right. They were good, but I think only becasue the sauce was so darn good. Then for desert we had fresh papaya, kiwi, and strawberries in a syrup that Nora made. It singed my nose when I smelled it cause the alcohol was so strong. But it was delicious! Wow, easily one of the best meals ever!
We talked a lot and laughed a lot. It was a fun night, even though I was the youngest adult around. Not to bad. Well it is off to bed! I get to sleep in! Woo Hoo!
Night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i simply cant believe you ate mussels... who are you and what did you do with MJ?
Will you drive me around on the ranger when i get there??
Go get yourself from bug spray! The ticks would do me in! love you

MM said...

It is me, I know I am out of character, but I made a promise to be fearless and try anything! If you get to come out to the island, then yes of course I will drive you around on the Ranger. But I am not sure you will get out to the island. I will have to ask..