Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Funny-isms

Today started off not so well. I woke up at 4m wide awake! Yep could not go back to sleep easily! After a couple of toss and turns I woke again at 8:30am. Summer got up really early also and was not herself. She was very tired by 10am. Around 11am I suggested to out for a walk. She said, "Yes lets go", and off she set up the nearest rock area. Took off up this untamed rock face, dodging trees and over growth. Once we got to the top and there was no where to go, I asked her, "How do we get down?" She replied, "I don't know." I learned really quickly not to follow her. The next rock face we climbed I choose the route, there was no prickly over growth. After the walk around she was more focused. We had lunch and did some more work. Not much of a day until...
Nora returned from cleaning up a boat house out on the other side of the island. We all gathered in the front yellow sitting room. And Bestafar Par (granddad in Norwegian) had some funny sayings today. He learned English after her was in his 30s, so it is not always correct. Today after Trip's cell phone rang for the thousandth time he said, "Oh that is just a fancy canary." Then while we were sitting in the yellow room, there were two flies. He reached out to swat at them and missed. I asked, "Did you get one?" he replied "No, just exercising!"
Then Summer and I went out on another walk. We went to the field that Trip was mowing with his tractor. We meet him in the middle and he gave me the keys to the little boat house on the other side of the island. Summer and I walked out there. It is just a short ways through the woods. It is really a cute little cabin and is decorated like an old sailing tavern. It is really nice. On our way back to the the house we stopped and gave Trip the keys back and he gave us the keys to the Ranger. So Summer and I took the Ranger out for a ride. It was lots of fun to drive. Thank goodness it is an automatic, Summer likes to go really fast! After riding around the island for an hour we stopped and to swing for a little bit.

I was looking out towards the water when I noticed these enormous swans. And as Jean says, "They are pretty, but they are mean." She is also right about foreign swans. I went down on the beach, because they were aways out in the cove. I was throwing them bread and taking pictures, when before I knew it the papa swan was on the beach hissing and chasing me off. i had to jump up on the sae wall before getting pecked. Well what was really neat was that there were 5 ugly ducklings with the two grown swans. They were really protective of us and did not want us near their babies. Well Nora came down to feed them as well and I was pointing out the biggest seagull I have ever seen in my life and she said, "Oh no, they will eat the babies!" I was like, what? Seagulls eating swan ducklings? No way! Well I witnessed the two largest seagulls in the world try to pick up the ducklings and steal them, one was almost successful, but did not have a good hold on the head and dropped it. It was then the Mama and Papa Swan stopped gorging themselves on bread and took care of their babies.

We were out on the dock for a little, looking around and Summer convinced Trip to go out and go fishing and she insisted I go with her. So we went out on the shortest fishing trip known to man. We went out of our cove and on to open water. But the wind was to high. Trip had to keep the engine going so we did not drift off into a rock. We cast a line for about 30 min and then headed in because it was too windy and too cold. On too fixing dinner!

Dinner is like a show or an event around here. Everyone gathers in the kitchen and helps out. Tonight we had a leg of lamb and roasted potatoes with herbs from the garden and peas and carrots in a brown sugar balsamic-o juice. It was a great meal! as the Norwegians say "Nydlieg!" It means really, really good! Insert expletive when appropriate! You pronounce it beginning with a kissy face ee and then dl-ie ending with a k. It is not easy. The word love in Norweigan has 9 letters in it and begins with a kj. KJ is pronounced with a little hiss and air blowing out through the sides of your cheeks with open lips. Haha, I am never going to pick any of this language up. Although I can get around in the kitchen and understand what is going on in the newspaper through pictures.

Over all with was a great day because I got to talk to my Mom and my Dad! I also got to see Degas, Bumper and Ginger while talking to my Dad! I miss everyone so much and love hearing from you all! have a great day and message you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darn tootin the swans are mean! i wouldnt lie to you. however, the fact that SEA GULLS (cute charmin as they are), will EAT the ugly ducklings is shocking to me! holy shmoley! i'm glad you didnt witness an actual stealing of the baby.