Today is the second day! So far, so much fun! I got up at 8:30ish and I was the third one up. Before me was Summer and Trip. Trip was out mowing the 40 acres of grass. He says he loves being out in the early morning sun on his tractor. He spotted twin baby deer. I am not sure how deer appear on an island, but they are here and very abundant.
Summer and I went upstairs to her loft to begin organizing the area so we could begin work ASAP. Every time I picked something up, she got something out. It maybe a never-ending mess for the whole summer. After the loft was organized, we got straight to work. We had a list of what we want to accomplish for the day. She is a great worker and we worked hard until 1pm when we had lunch. Then it was back to work. At 3:30pm I had hit a brick wall with jet lag and need to lie down. Next thing I know it was 6pm. Woops, it was not a short nap.
I got up and began to help with dinner. We were having hamburgers; it is an “original” Norwegian dish. Haha, although it was the best hamburger I have had in a long time. It is Trip’s goal to have me cooking like a pro before the summer is over. I was an adventurous eater today. I had a slice of cold smoked salmon, wild boar from Italy, I ate Norwegian potato salad (it is sweet) and I had more crème cake with strawberries. I keep joking, saying at the rate we eat I am going to need 2 seats to come home. Par was eating dried fish off the bone and skin; I did not venture out to try that snack. The family’s favorite meal is mussels; Nora says I will love them. We will see, I will hold judgment until I actually try them.
Something I noticed today about the house is that no matter the temperature outside the tile floor stays warm. I do not believe that is an original design of the house built in 1732. The other cool thing about the house is that there is a cool room. It is a refrigerator the size of a large closet. It is a walk in and you can go left and right for a couple of feet. This family loves to eat and it is one of four places where food is kept.
Tomorrow Nora and Par are going to town and Summer and I will stay behind to work. While in town Nora will be getting the city house ready for Summer and me to stay there with Shana, Dora and Luvm. Shana is an old baby sitter of Margit’s, she is only 18. Then Dora and Luvm are girls from the Philippines, they will be doing the cooking while we are in the city. Trip is getting ready to return to the states for work, he will be there for two weeks, come back for two weeks, and then repeat until September. He does not get a summer vacation really. I will post more tomorrow! Ciao (I have not learned how to say good-bye yet, but soon!)
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment