Today was kind of a crazy day. I worked with Summer for 6 hrs and then it was on to play time. We took the ranger out with Christian and dumped some trash. Then we went to the far side of the island, we watched Alexandra water ski for the first time. She is a little 9 yr old who lives on another island. Then we roade around for a little and then went to visit Sebastian (10) and Ben (7). These are two young boys who live on the same island. Summer spilled the eans and told the boys we were going fishing and asked if they wanted to come along. So we had to take them. It was not that bad, but Christian and I were out numbered, never a good place to be.
Christian wanted to go picking mussels, so we stoped out on a little island, beached the boat on a rock and began searching. We did not find many here. So mainly we just climed all over this little island. On the way back to our dock we stoped by the little rock that is barely out of the water and began reaching down as far as we could. We found a ton of mussels. Sebastian was reaching so far down his face was in the water. We filled up the bucket and headed back to the house.
For the next 2 hrs Christian scrubbed the mussels with a wire brush. Because you have to steam them, anything that is on the outside of the shell can flavor them. I helped a little, but mostly I was watching kids and feeding them and making sure they do not torture the bunny.
Finally he was done scrubbing, now it was time to figure out how to cook them. Dora and Luvim had a recipe, so we let them take over at this point. The did the cooking. I was glad because all I had was a recipe, but then we did not have all the ingrediants. Oh, well.
So then meal was prepared. They were so good. They were salty yet with a tangy taste. I can't really think about what I am eating other wise I won't eat them. I just think that it is tasty meat. Well about half way through my second helping, i bit into something really hard. It hurt my teeth. And I imediatly spit out everything in my mouth. After digging around in the meat that i spit out I found a little pearl. It is not that big, but compared to the ones Christian and Luvim found mine was the biggest. It is about the size of a pin head. You know the little ones that have the colored ball on the end, they are red and white and yellow. Not the little plain silver ones. It is kind of purple/pink/grey. It is not that shiny, it is kind of dull. I have kept it for a little keepsake. It is kind of neat to find my own pearl. It makes me want to go out and get more mussels.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
wow! a real pearl! thats so cool!!!
I'm glad you let the fish live. I too have a problem eating anything that I just saw as a living creature. Dad escaped hurricane Dolly and is on his way back north. They ended up driving out of Brownsville as the airport was shutting down. He is in San Antonio today and Austing tomorrow then home.
Later,
Mom
Post a Comment