Today Nora, Summer and I went to the Bronze Place, or a Vking camp. If you are familiar with Scarburough Fair in Texas, this is very similar. It is a cultural park where people drees up and live as the vikings did 3000 yras ago. This is the sign leading the way to the park.
The camp was near a water front and people were down at the water catching fish for them to cook for dinner. I think this a beautiful place, with the trees arching around the entrance to the water.
This is a replica of the long houses that vikings used to live in. It has mud walls with timber holdin up the roof. The roof is coverd in vegetation, sometimes they planted hebs and other plants that they would use in their cooking. Right oustide this house you could roast your own hot dogs.
Here Nora and Summer are shoping at one of the many tents. Here Nora is purchasing a sterling sliver pendent for me. It is a Valkyrie, an Angel or Caretaker, here is the story. When a viking was killed in battle they had a caretaker who decend from above to take them to the after life. These caretakers were assigned to them for the rest of eternity. They would cook and look after them, Nora says they performed all sorts of services. It is a traditional Norge symbol. I am very thankful for her buying me something that is very symbolic of Norway.
This is near the entrance to the park. As you cen see on her face, Summer is truly excited about visiting this camp. It was a great educational experience to add to our weekend.
Here is a garden where they grew all sorts of vegetables for them to eat. At the back is where they slaughter animals and skin them for their pelts.
This is a lady who is carving by hand an arm rest to add to the chair she is sitting in. They had amazing wood works. They made bowls, and spoons, and all sorts of things. They would take the bark and make it very plyable and weave with it. They made baskets and such with the weaving. I was really impressed. This was a wonderful outing and I am so thankful for havig the opportunity to see how the vikings lived and getting to experience a little of what their life must have been like.
Before we left we had waffles with homemade raspberry jam. It was a really good snack.
Now we are back at the house, relaxing. It may be time for a nap again!
Have a wonderful sunday!

5 comments:
hope you get this,Megan I have not yet been successful in getting a message to you, I guess Iwill keep trying and then as always call your Dad for help. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and your folks did too Things here are hot and wet. So far this year we are at 40 inches and normal for the whole year is 42. oh well we will get by ,lots of talk about building an arc. If this gets to you I'll try more later. Love you ,have fun.Aunt Billye
Megan,
We love reading and seeing the pictures of the different experiences you are having in Norway.
What a neat place and sooo much history!!!
So glad your folks were able to visit you and to celebrate your birthday. Sounds like LOTS of pictures were taken.
We are fine here, getting rain so the temperature has dropped ~ ~ thank heavens!!! The garden is pretty much on it's way out.
Thinking of you.
Love Gma & Gpa
Opps!!! I signed the wrong name :>)
Megan:
Your experience at the Viking Village is so neat. It's great that your able to visit a place like that while there. The family have been great and I love what your showing everyone on your blog.
I wish we had been able to go out to the Viking Village while we visited you but we couldn't do it all RIGHT....
Hope to talk to you on Skype soon.
Have fun at the Island house this week.
Love DAD
Hey Girl!! I love the pictures and reading about all you are doing! I have a favor to ask of you! Would you email me your summer email address?? I'm getting a student teacher again next year and I want some opinions from my first experience with you!
I know you are busy, so whenever you get a chance...email me at spring.shurtz@kellerisd.net
Keep posting! When do you return?? Are you going to return?? tee hee!
xoxo
me
Post a Comment