Sunday, June 13, 2010

Post #1 for Summer 2010

Well....it's that time of year again! Time to go to Norway for the summer. Getting ready for the summe was a little different than from the past years. My boyfriend has joined the Marines and is off learning to do what Marines do. Then also, this summer I had to close down my apt. I have turned everything off and raised the AC. The past summers I have had a roommate that has lived there, so no need to clean out the fridge. It was a little bit more work, but not too bad. I was done and out of there by 11am on Friday.
I took my car to the oh so generous car storage facility (The Morrison's garage) and was home relaxing in my parents pool by 2pm. On Friday evening I planned a birthday party for myself. I have nt had a big party in 2 yrs, it was time I celebrated, even if it was at the wrong time.
We played Whirlyball. It is the bomb diggity! It is lacross, played like basketball, all while driving a bumper car. We had a group of about 20 and we all had a blast! It was a great time hanging out with everyone, one last time!
Bill's mom had recieved the 1st letter since Bill had left for Quantico, VA. So on Saturday I got up early and drove to my apartment. And guess what...I got a letter too. It was a wonderful surprise just before leaving the country!
So once I got back home, my dad and my cousin Katelyn took me to lunch. They typical Mexican sen off! (Mexican spices do not exisit in Norway, so I crave them all summer long.)
Then we went to the airport. My mom was in training so she met us at the check-in counter. Typical check-in...cost me $150 in baggage charges! Then we hung outside security for a little while.
OK....if you have not been to the airport recently, they have whole body scanners. I had to step in the this round cylinder tube, raise my hands above my head and be scanned. Then I had to step to a holding area to make sure my scan was good. It was weird, they might have been talking about this on the news, but I obviously missed that short.
I had to wait a bit for the airplane, we left late, I am not sure what what was up. Once we were on, it was an interesting ride. When we were above Chicago, we hit really bad turbulace. And the guy accross the aisle, 1 person away from me started puking! I am a sympathy puker and I had to talk my self out of getting sick. He used 6 barf bags! UGH...it smelled so bad. Then just after that happened, they left side toliets became backed up. I was only one row away from the toilets and people would line up there and wait, every time the plane lurched the person would lean into me. I guess that is the risk you take when you have an aisle seat.
So then they searved dinner, it was beef, ok, not great, desert was wonderful! I had a glass of white wine and was ready for some sleep time. I am not sure how long I slept, most of the way through Ghostwritter the movie, but I woke up to the guy on my left (he was french and did not speak english very well) blowing nose air on my arm. I was coving up with my jacket, but it had sliped down on my arm and I could feel the air from his nose on my arm. EWWW, gross!
Then I turned to look the other way and this very large man, who had on way too much cologne was resting his belly on my arm rest while waiting for the toilet. This was the point I was ready to get off the plane!
I looked on the trip tracker and saw we only had 2 hrs left. Thank goodness. I started another movie an fell in an out of consciousness. I woke up when they were serving breakfast and I knew it was almost time to get off the plane! The best part was we arrived 30mins early.
Now time to transfer and go through a passport check point. Nothing exciting about that, a quick process and on to the next gate, where I had to wait 3 hrs. I looped my legs in my purse, put on headphones, put my feet up on the carry on and took a short nap.
Finally we boarded the plan and in a short 45 mins ( i slept the whole way) I landed in Kristiansand, Norway!
I was litterally the last person off the plane, I was not seated in the last row, but people are pushy and rude when they want off a plane. I picked up my carry on, it had to be stowed below in flight, and then colleted my luggage at baggage claim. I used a quarted to get a cart and wheeled my way through the loose security at Kjevik Airport to see Summer and Nora waiting on the otherside for me!
Nora siad, ''Welcome home!'' and in some ways it is like coming home, to a place I know. Weird to think I have a foriegn home!
Well we got some groceries and had lunch, I took a nap and a shower, unpacked and we are headed out for dinner. Talk to you all soon! Skype me...mejolley! Ha Det! (goodbye)

Recap of Characters in the blog:
Megan- ME
Bill- my boyfriend
The Morrison's- Bill's Parents- Laurie and Mike
Nora- the Norwegian Mom
Summer- the girl I tutor

2 comments:

sarahjox said...

Glad to have you back Mojo! Can't wait to hear about another exciting summer in Norway!

Sarah :)

Cindi said...

Glad you made it there safely! I will check in with you periodically! Cindi