So I seemed to conquer a lot today! I managed to help figure out the internet mystery! Althought as I write right now, I am in word and will post this a little later when we get a new cable to permenently fix the internet! (This happened yesterday)
I also conquered my fear of driving in Norway. Now I have been driving the past 2 years, but when it has been awile since you have been on european roads, it can be scary! The roads are smaller, the cars go faster and the roads are curverier! There is not a middle line, so when you are on the back roads going towards the islanf, the oncoming cars seem to take their half out of the middle. Summer and I stopped at a gas stations to get newspapers for Nora and an ice cream! Theat was not a good choice for me to make, becasue that meant driving with one hand. WHen we turned off the narrow Highway on to a narrower back road, I was sure this one van was going to hit us. I was all the way over, but there was a large rock to my right and I could not budge anymore. As soon as he was upon us, I screamed and stopped. Summet said, "Do you know how to dirve!" And then she giggled! I think she was nervous of the other driver too! These Europeans have guts when it comes to driving and taking curves without breaking!
The next thing I conquered was driving the boat. Again, I have driven the boat before, but this time I was all alone on my own and with a passenger! I also had never backed out of the slip alone. Well we got in and I untied the boat and we started out hte slip. Then a large ship came by and stired the waves and then the wind pushed us the wrong way. I was facing out of the slip the wrong direction!
I knew there was a large rock beside me and I had to go around that and a small island. (Trip once yelled at me when I was driving, that I was headed straight for the rock!) So i made a wide turn, the wind was blowing so hard. Finally i got us going in the right direction and headed for home. Summer wanted me to goo fast, but no thanks, I wanted to get there carefully! So I rounded out of the bay and out on to the open sea. And then quickley into another bay. I like the bays becasue we go slow. As we rounded our island we saw home and I put the boat into neutral and let us drift into the dock.
Summer started giggling again, I think I was making her nervous, becasue the whole time I was saying, "Oh no, oh no!" But really things were fine. I beached the boat, (the tide was low and I am supposed to do that!) and then tied the front end of the boat up. But by the time I was done tying the front end, the back end had drifted away from the dock and was perpendicular to the dock. So I had to convince Summer to throw me the rope from the back and pull the boat parrallel to the dock. DO you know how hard it is to pull a boat in water? Ugh! Go, Go Gadget arms, and Magic Megan Strength! So i tied the boat up, checked the knots twice, cause I did not want the boat drifting away. And then headed for a work out and relaxing in the hot tub! I thought I had worked hard enough for one day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Megan: Good job on driving the boat and getting it tied up so it wouldn't float away. I remember doing that shot of thing when Margits age with Uncle Louis' boat at Grand Lake. it was always fun to drive the boat.
European drivers can be a challenge. I remember driving in Germany and Turkey and every body drove like there was not tomorrow. Always fast and in the middle of the road. Good Job. Your trips sound like fun going to different places thus summer. It will make the time go faster for sure.
Talk to you soon. DAD
Post a Comment