It was a short ride up to the area called Eidsborg. It was a very windy road, one that if we had traveled on for very long, I would have needed to roll down the window for fresh air so I would not get car sick.
Once we arrived, we realized there their was also an open air log cabin museum next to the Eidsborg Stave Church. It was a 2 for one visit.
If you have never visited Europe, then you have never expereiced their lack of time management and timeliness. The sign said that the area opened at 10:00am, it was currently 10:35am. And it was not open. Finally this guy walks up and opens shop. We buy tickets and I buy a book about all the Stave Churches in Norway, he said the tour will start shortly.
(FYI: originally there were more than 1000 Stave Churched dating back as far as the 900s, but now there are only 28 left in Norway and one in Poland. The one in Poland was orginally in Norway, but was purchased by the Germans during WWII and reassembled in German Territory, but when the boarders were redrawn after the war, the Stave Church was in Poland.)
We congragated around the entrance to the Stave Church, the guide walks up with a key to unlock the door. It was a foot and a half long! So huge, you don't loose that key very easily!
What I found out to be the most interesting was that there is little to NO information about what the churches looked like before the reformation in the 16th century. Once the Catholic church took over the churches, they removed most Nordic Icons because they were believed to be demonic. They also ornatley painted the walls with stories about Jesus.
These paintings were done by Italians. Now, there was little to nothing done until reacently to preserve the paintings, so most of them are gone. Up at the front of the alter there was a painting of Jesus from the 1800s.
The most significant thing in the church was a wooden crucifix. It is from before the church was built. The wood has been dated to the 900s. It is not a typical Catholic crucifix of a suffereing Jesus, but of a Old Greek Orthodox Jesus, where Jesus is on the cross, but there are no wounds, no blood, He looks peaceful and content. He is also wearing a crown of jewels instead of a crown of thorns.
After we looked at the inside, we toured the "porch." I am sure there is a more official word for the walk way surrounding the outside of the church, but it is not in my vocabulary. It is unusual for a Stave Church to have a "porch" but this one did. During the reformation, women who had recently given birth and unbaptized people were seen as unclean and had to listen to the sermons givin, standing outside on the porch.
Here is a great picture of the porch. You can see the little windows carved just below the roof line. My favorite part is looking at the underside of the roof and seeing the wooden pegs that were used to attach all of the shingles on the outside. (When this church was built, they did not have the tools or the education to make metal nails, so they used wooden ones)
Well, that was your history lesson for the day! And yes, I learned all of this the day I visited the church! If you know me well enough, you know if I learn about something, I seem to regurgetate facts for a few days.
The rest of the day was spent riding a bus, 5 of them to be exact. We had to change busses several times to make it back to where the car was parked in Ulefoss. Tomorrow, I will tell you about staying in Lillie Ulefoss, a posh bed and breakfast!

1 comment:
Megan: Great story about your trip. The photos are super. I can't wait to see the rest. Keep up the stories.
I found the places you visited on Google Maps and possible route you all took in the car and ship thru the locks. I will show you when you come home and we can print the map if you want to. Talk to you soon.
Love DAD
Post a Comment