Sunday, July 25, 2010

Easy Living

Easy Living is the name of the boat. But I think it is pretty easy living to live on a sail boat for a short period of time. Here is a picture of the boat. We did not actually get to sail, we were going against the current and against a very strong head wind. Here is a picture of the boat going under the only bridge. The mast is only shy 30cm from hitting the bridge and the keel (under the boat) was only 1/2 a meter from touching the bottom. I was a little nervous about this part!
Here I am just getting on the boat. I was super excited about this. I was told when we were leaving to sit still and do not touch anything. But there are so many ropes and leavers, it was very tempting to try to help. But I am a good listener and I did not move!

Here is The Captain! His name is Roy, he is a really nice man. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to go out with him!
He even let me drive! We were just heading out to open sea and just after he took this picture, litterally a half second, a huge wave came up and over the boat and drenched me from head to toe!

It was very choppy riding in the sail boat. It was a 4 hr trip by boat, what takes 1 hrs by car. But it was totally worth it. Because Roy is so nice, as we entered Blindlea, which is the area you have to go through to get to the island, he turned off the motor and handed me a rope. He told me to pull it. So I gave it a yank! He said NO, you need to stand up and pull it. I stood up and yanked as hard as I could. The nest thing I knew, i was opening a sail. It was very hard, because the wind was blowing the sail litterallyout of my hands. But it was cool becasuse I was actually sailing.
It only lasted about 10 minutes, becasue we turned into the wind again and we had to use the engine. But it was a lot of fun! He droped me off at Neau Bouy- the boat house on the other side of the island. I had to climb on the outside of the front of the boat, like the mermaids the are on the front of ships and I had to jump off on to the dock. It was about a 3ft jump and about a 6ft height difference. It was a little scary, but I leapt with no fear! And landed on both feet!
It was so much fun! Roy is coming out with the sail boat today (Sunday) so I will miss my opportunity to sail again! But tonight I get to go to a PINK concert! So much fun!




No comments: