Saturday, August 9, 2008

Copenhagen

Here is a very typical picture of Copenhagen. I left on Monday at 6pm and arrived in CPH and then waited around in the baggage area for about 40 min and then met Jean and Blake at their baggage claim area.
They looked a little tired. They left DFW on Sun at 3pm, arrived in Amsterdam at 7am took a city tour, left there and arrived in CPH at 8pm. They had a LONG trip to meet me.
We claimed our baggage and went through customs. Jean and Blake were a little startedled by the pushy Europeans. I told them to push back, but not too hard.
Then it was and adventure getting a train ticket. Supposedly I have a pin number attached to my credit card that I must use in Denmark. I don't know the pin, master card does not know the pin and the bank does not know the pin. So I was unable to purchase tickets. Blake came to my rescue and paid cash. We then caught the train out of the airport into the center of the town.
We had a room booked at the Marriott just a few blocks from the train station, but we took a taxi anyways. I was walking with two very tired girls. We got into the room, very nice and ordered a pizza from room service. The only other place open was the Hard Rock Cafe, and Jean said she was NOT walking anywhere. So we just relaxed in the room.
The next morning we got up and bought a ticket to a hop on hop off tour. Here is a picture of the three of us when we hopped off to shop. We were near the dock where the Cruise Lines drop off so there were lots of tourists shops.
I bought an Amber Silver ring. It was the only thing that I really wanted from Denmark. Amber is really popular there. It is a nice piece of jewlery and will remind me of the good times had in Copenhagen.
We got back on to the bus and took it to see the infamous "Little Mermaid." I forgot to load a pic, so I will do that in another post, so sorry. It was neat to see the sculpture that the story was written about. As we were walking back to the bus, this guy behind us siad, "Where was Flounder?" Anyone who is a fan of the Little Mermaid, Disney version, will think that is funnny.
We bought some roasted almonds and got on the bus headed back to the center of town.
We caught a differnt Line of the bus and went out of town to "Probably the best beer made" Brewery. I put that bit in quotes, casue it is every where. In America we would not say that, cause probably? I mean you think, maybe, I might be the best beer but you are not really sure. Haha, it makes me laugh. We got to the Carlsberg brewery to late to take the tour. It takes two hours. But we did get to see their horses, kind of like Budweiser, and we got to go to the shop, and best part we made it 2 min before closing to buy a drink.
We all got 3 differnt kinds. They were all really good. The only problem at a place like that, is they don't do light. But it was still really good.
Becasue it was so late in the day, the tour bus we were taking ended so we needed to catch a city bus. The first bus I got onto, the driver said, "I only speak Danish." I know it was the righ tbus, but he was not about to be helpful, so I got off. We waited a few more minutes and another bus on the same route came to take us back.
We got off a little farther away than we should have but it was just a short walk to the walking street. It is a very touristy place so there were resturants and shops still open.
Everything usually closes before 5pm.
We had a nice dinner, early for Europe, but we did not eat lunch. I had Danish Meatballs, they were really good. Then we went shopping some more. We walked up and down the street. It was about 7pm when Blake finally was like, OK jet lag is hitting me, lets go home. So we walked home.
On the way there we stopped and took a picture with Hans Christian Anderson.
When we got back to the hotel, Blake crashed and was out for the night. Jean and I went down to the hotel bar, just to hang out and catch up. Not being able to talk to her every day has been hard we had a lot to catch up on. Were down there for about 2 hours. We made friends with the bar tender, his name was Chad and he is from Canada. He did not sound European at all. It was a good time.
The next morning, we got up and had a nice breakfast. Then we caught a cab to the train station, and it was about the time I was queing (waiting in line) to buy a ticket that I realized it was 10:15am and we were to board an international flight at 11:10. And we still had a 2o min train ride to get there.
I started to freak out. We had talked about what time we needed to be at the train station, we just did not execute it accurately. We were about 30 min behind a comfortable schedule. I finally get the tickets. I only had 87 DKK, I needed 90DKK. And remember that my credit card needed a pin. The only way i cold buy tickets with out getting in line again was to use Norwegian Crown. The exchange rate stinks, and I think I lost money on the deal, but we made the 10:20am train. And that is all I really cared about. So rush, rush, we get to the check in and I could do the self-check in, but Jean and Blake had to wait in line. When I checked my baggage and was ready, I was concerned that the ticket counter would look at the time and see that we only had 30 mins till take off. But they took their baggage no question. Next was the security.
Now security is nothing like we have at home. It is a joke here, really. We get through, I set the alarm off, but the guy patted me down and found nothing. My sunglasses set it off.
You know how in the US a lady would have to pat you down, not in the EU. It was a guy. It was strange for me, but I am sure he thought nothing of it.
So now running to the gate. We get there and I check in with my credit card. It was my boarding pass, which saves paper and is really convenient. But i did not have a seat assigned and the plane was over sold. So guess what....I got upgraded to bussiness class. WooHoo. I mean really, the only difference was I got a drink and a meal. It is only a 45 min flight, so nothing super special. The food was salmon on a cracker, I did not taste. I had a pepsi and a short nap.
We landed in Kjevik, and took a taxi to the town house. Now it was time to relax.
I will add the next couple of days here real soon. I come home in 5 days!!! Whoo Hoo! Who is excited, i know I am!
Later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an amendment to the above Blog, which was fabulous and included most of the highlights, one must be added.

While we were at the hotel bar catching up we had a MAJOR derailing in the catching up and the basic normalcy of a conversation. Some how as we nibbled on the mixed nuts we were given we got to wondering, is this a pecan or a walnut? As a matter of fact... what is a walnut? We're quite familiar with pecans- or so we think. But even the bar tenders weren't sure that what we were looking at was a pecan and not a walnut because no one knew what a walnut was for sure! In the midst of the wonderings of the nuts, the fantasic Chad presented me with a folded peice of paper and told me to open it. On it was the "Google" information about the pecan tree. What we were eating was in fact a pecan. FURTHERMORE, Megan shortly thereafter rememebered that the Pecan Tree is our state tree here in Texas! YIKES! We were in hysterics as this "nutty" converstion unfolded. Why did we discuss pecans, trees and walnuts so long? We may never know, but we sure had a long overdue laugh about it.

Megan, I can't wait for you to come back to me so we can have more regular "rabbit chasing" conversations (or for us- 'nut naming' conversations:)