Here is a piece of advice, if there are possibly hills, do not take the bike. Try walking the hill before biking the hill!
So on Sunday, I know I am a few days behind, I took the bike to the island out in front of the house. I have been told that there are trails and such and it was a beautiful day! So I headed out and made it up the 1st couple of hills no prob, but then they became too steep. So I hiked up the hills with the bike.
It was so hilly out on the island. It is nothing like it is in town. Who knew? Any ways after 30 mins of walking up hill with a dumb bike, I ditched the bike next to a wood pile. There were dozens of bikes laying around, they were not locked up. I figured, what they hey, I could trust that the bike would not be stolen!
So I headed up yet another hill and off into the woods. If you have ever walked with me, you know that I become uneasy when people come up behind me. I have watched to many CSI's and I am suspicious.
So I am in the woods, alone, with my Ipod, rocking out to a mix of worship songs. It was Sunday, I haven't been to church in a long time, thought I could at least sing to Him. And then ALL OF A SUDDEN 3 people pop out of NO WHERE! I am like, "High-YA" and ready to fight.
I think it was becaasue I could only hear the music and I was really taken off gaurd, being lost in the forest and then all of a sudden civilization. But as I walked further, I found more and more people. That little island was crawling with people out hiking.
I would be walking along a trail and then all of a sudden I was being followed by hikers that just came off another trail. Norwegians like to hike on Sunday! It is because everything else is closed!
I walked around exploring for about 40 mins, up and down hills, over and across rocks. I love hiking when it is terain that requires balance. I get a thrill walking right out to the edge of the rocks and looking down on the water.
The island is only about 1mile long, but there are about 10-15 old gun turrets (sp?) that Germany used during WWII and they occupied Norway. They are closed off, but you can walk around on top of them. They are cool.
Then all of a sudden, I wondered if I could get back to the bike. I figured if anything I could always go to the bottom and work my way back up till I found the wood pile again. But i found the bike with no problem. I started riding down stoping here and there to explore trails that I had skipped over on my way out.
It was really nice to be out there with worship music. It was a perfect depiction of God's creation. I loved it! Then I found this litte secluded beach with sand. They don't have sand on beaches here naturally, they have to dump it there every so often.
But I ditched the bike, at the top of the hill and went down to the beach. I found a rock away from people and sat down to just absorb the beauty. I took my shoes off and put my feet in the ocean.
It has not been that warm lately (mid 70's) so the water was not that warm. I sat there for about 30 mins until I could not longer feel my toes. I put my shoes back on, walked back to the bike and biked/hiked home.
Because my feet were cold, the ride home was very chilly. I shivered and had goosebumps all the way home. I took a hot bath when I got home to warm up. Silly body heat issues. I am never warm enough!
It was a nice hike. I did not take my camera, because I did not think that there would be anything worth taking pics of, but I promise to go back and take pics and post them later.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment