Monday, July 13, 2009

The Pulpit!

Stavanger at night. This was after dinner right around midnight. It was a cute little town. The 3rd largets city in Norway! This is the Base Camp. Where we started our 6km hike. We were going to hike a little over 3 miles and climb 1300 feet in elevation. This makes the hike seem easy. But some of the bolders we had to climb over were talller than I was.
Just as I round the corner here is the view that I saw. That is Prekestolen! The Pulpit, it is called this becasue they have found that Vikings would do scrifices here. It is unsual for a fjord to drop off so steap. It drops over 2000 feet down, straight to the ocean. It was formed from being under 10,000 yrs of frost!

Here is me, just in case you thought I had not made it to the TOP! I was tired and hungry, but the view was well worth the hike up!



Nora about killed me for doing this. I am leaning back over the edge. She was screaming at me as i was taking the picture. Something about," I do NOT want to call you mother if you foolishly fall of this stupid rock!" I had just spoken to my mom and dad, so they new i was safe at the top!


I confedently walked to the edge and sat down. I called Bill to tell him Iwas on top ofthe world. It was only half way through the conversation, that my stomach did a sumersalt and I felt nervous about being so close to the edge. I scooted back and laid down next to the edge. More body surface touching the rock, less likely to fall of the edge. I would have had to roll and that was not happening. I sat very still as I called people to tell them of my accomplishment. A more detailed account is coming as soon as I finish writting it!




1 comment:

Pat Jolley said...

My I was getting weak knees as I was reading your account. I can't believe you leaned back to take the picture!!! You didn't tell me that on the phone. Great view and quite an experience. I'm sure everyone was exhausted by the time you got back to the car.