Monday, April 14, 2008

The Meeting

This past Sunday I went to Dallas to meet the whole family. I was very nervous, but also very excited. I like to think that I am good with directions. The mother (let’s call her Nora) told me their house was right around the corner from where we met for coffee. I thought cool I know where that is; I will be able to find it, no problem. See you at 12:30!

Well being over confident and all, I did not look up directions. Boy, was that a mistake. Well after getting lost for 10min, I finally called their house and talked to “dad” (we will call him Trip) he told me to take a right and then a left and I will be there. I got there a little late, I know, what a way to make a good impression! Fortunately they did not mind.

The whole family met me in the foyer of their home. Summer (the little girl) was super excited to see me. She had to rearrange the way we were standing so she could hold my hand. We were having lunch at a café around the corner, so we decided to walk. It was like all of a sudden I was part of this family and this was a normal outing.

While at lunch we discussed some of the particulars of how I was going to get to Norway, when I was available, and what I will be doing there. We also talked about the abundance of leisure time I will have and how I can spend my evenings. Lunch was lovely and I highly recommend Café R & D if you are ever in the Highland Park area.

After our brisk walk home, I went upstairs to Summer’s room and we played. We painted, and played twister and a Dr. Seuss game. But the highlight for the afternoon was playing Barbie. Man, I have not done that in years! I braided hair and changed their clothes. Barbie has not changed since I was a little girl. Summer and I got along great!

Just before I left Nora came up to share some books and a magazine with me. The books are about the Southland of Norway, where I will be staying. In the section on Kristiansand, you can see their city home right on the water front. When I saw that picture it was like, oh wow, that is where I will live. The magazine is a Norwegian version of Southern Living. Their farm is featured in this magazine. It is absolutely beautiful. I mean of course it is beautiful, it is in a magazine! I am going to do my best to scan some pictures in so that all of you can see the houses. Until next time!

All names have been changed for confidentially purposes. If you talk to me personally about Trip (the dad), Nora (the mom) or Summer (the little girl) and I look at you with a blank stare just remind me what you are talking about and I am sure I can catch on!

1 comment:

Debby said...

Megan, you will be such a postive influence on this young girl.. How fortunate for this family they found such a dynamic educator to travel with them this summer. I know you will do well and change this young girl's life and hopefully this experience will change yours .Have fun and hope it is all you could imagine it to be.!
Best wishes!